Checking Your Federal Refund Status Is Easy
If you have already filed your federal tax return and are due to receive a refund, you can check the status of your refund online.
Where’s My Refund? is an interactive tool on the IRS website. Regardless of whether you have split your refund among several accounts, opted for a direct deposit into one account, or asked the IRS to mail you a check, Where’s My Refund? will give you online access to your refund information 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
If you e-file, you can use this tool to get your refund information 24 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your return. Nine out of 10 taxpayers typically receive refunds in fewer than 21 days when they use e-file with direct deposit. If you file a paper return, refund information will be available starting four weeks after mailing your return. When you go to check the status of your refund, have a copy of your federal tax return handy. To access your personalized refund information, you must enter
- your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number);
- your filing status (single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)), and
- the exact refund amount shown on your tax return.
Once you have entered your personal information, one of several personalized responses will come up:
- acknowledgement that your return has been received and is being processed,
- your refund’s mailing date or direct deposit date, or
- a notice that the IRS could not deliver your refund due to an incorrect address, at which point, you can update your address online using the Where’s My Refund? feature.
Where’s My Refund? also includes links to customized information based on your specific situation. The links guide you through the steps to resolve any issues that are affecting your refund. For example, if you do not receive your refund within 28 days of the mailing date shown on Where’s My Refund?, you can start a refund trace online.
Where’s My Refund? is also accessible to visually impaired taxpayers who use the Job Access with Speech screen reader with a Braille display. Where’s My Refund? is compatible with various modes of this screen reader.
IRS2Go is a free IRS smartphone app that lets taxpayers check on the status of their tax refunds. For download information, visit IRS2Go. It is available for both Apple and Android.
Where’s My Refund? provides the most up-to-date information that the IRS has. There’s no need to call the IRS unless Where’s My Refund? tells you to do so. Where’s My Refund? is updated every 24 hours (usually overnight), so you only need to check it once a day. Please call this office if you encounter any problems.